The University Grants Committee (UGC) announced on 27 January the results of the Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) 2014. In this exercise, 124 staff members of LU had altogether submitted 481 items of research outputs for assessment in 13 costs centres under the three RAE panels of Business & Economics, Humanities and Social Sciences. Among these cost centres, we have rating as high as 15% scoring four stars (highest rating for “world leading” standard) which compares well with the sector-wide attainment. Several disciplines also attained encouraging performance including the following, among others:
- In Economics, LU ranks 3rd among all the eight UGC-funded institutions in its 4-star rating at 13%, which is above the sector-wide 11%, and LU is the only institution which does not have any research output in the “Unclassified” category.
- In terms of the aggregate percentage for our 4-star and 3-star outputs together:
- History’s 47% is on par with the sector-wide percentage, while its 4-star rating at 15% puts LU in the 4th position among the other institutions;
- Philosophy’s 45% is just three points below the top institution and above the sector-wide 40%;
- Translation’s 15% is the best among the other institutions and above the sector-wide 11%; and
- Visual Studies’ 28% ranks second among the institutions and is above the sector-wide 19% (in the “Other Arts/Humanities” cost centre).
- Accountancy and Finance are to be applauded for proving their strengths especially among the very strong competitors in their areas.
The results confirmed that Lingnan University has remained true to its liberal arts mission in providing quality teaching and mentorship to our students, while at the same time demonstrating a deep commitment to research and scholarship.