- Search of a new President in good progress
- Opening Ceremony for Psychology Laboratory at Lingnan
- Graduate Exit Survey and Graduate Employment Survey 2012
- Hong Kong Jockey Club Distinguished Visiting Professors of Modern Chinese Literature join “In the name of the May Fourth: A Literary Forum”
- Kick-off Ceremony of the “Chinese General Chamber of Commerce Mainland Summer Internship Programme 2013”
- Prof Xu Zidong shares anecdotes of Eileen Chang in her later years
- “Intertextuality” – Lingnan University Artist-in-Residence Exhibition 2013
- CHR hosts international academic conference on “Hong Kong Literature and Culture of the 1950s”
- 33rd Seminar for Senior Officials of Minority Nationalities Autonomous Prefectures in China
Awards and Achievements
- Lingnan University Taekwondo Team wins second runner-up prize
- Prize Presentation Ceremony of the President’s Cup 2012/13
- Annual Sports Teams Gathering and Awards Presentation
- Office of Service-Learning receives Honorable Mention of the 2013 MacJannet Prize for Global Citizenship
- ZeShan Foundation Scholarships Presentation and Sharing Session
- Matthew Cheng Ching-hang presented with 2012 Arts Development Award (Art Criticism)
- Lingnan Education Organization Ambassadors Appointment Ceremony
- The 4th Asia-Pacific Regional Conference on Service-Learning “Service-Learning as a Bridge from Local to Global: Connected World, Connected Future”
- Seminar on Li Kuang and His Literary Works
- Seminar on "Marketpower and Its Determinants of the Chinese Airline Industry"
- Call for Papers: 2013 Academy of International Business (AIB) Southeast Asia Regional Conference
- Master of Cultural Studies 10th Anniversary Forum on "In and Out of the Institution: The Past and Future of Cultural Studies and Adult Education"
The Centre for Humanities Research (CHR) hosted an international academic conference on “Hong Kong Literature and Culture of the 1950s” on 21-23 May 2013. As the round-up conference of the Research Grants Council General Research Fund (RGC-GRF) project “Hong Kong Literature and Culture of the 1950s”, the conference was also funded by the Hong Kong Arts Development Council.
Prof Stephen Chan Ching-kiu, Academic Dean of the Faculty of Arts, addressed the conference to mark its opening. Prof Grace Lau Yin-ping from the Department of Chinese reviewed the achievements of the organising committee, which comprised the late Prof Leung Ping-kwan, Prof Sun Yifeng, Dr Mary Wong Shuk-han and Prof Lau herself. Then Dr Wong launched three books under the “Hong Kong Literature and Culture of the 1950s” series, namely Ye Si’s 1950s: Criticisms on Hong Kong Literature and Culture, Stories after a Long Night: Selected Short Stories of Li Kuang and True Lies: Selected Short Stories of Evan Yang. All these titles were edited by CHR and published by Chung Hwa Book Co (HK) Ltd.
During the three-day conference, more than 20 scholars have presented papers and shared their insights on a wide range of topics related to the culture and literature of Hong Kong during the 1950s, such as newspaper columns, literary journals, visual arts, sub-cultural fiction, Cantonese opera, music, cinema, fiction, translation and poetry.
The GRF project set sail in 2011, and since then CHR has conducted industrious archival research that led to the publication of two books: Legacy and Transformation of Hong Kong Literature (2011) and An Anthology of Hong Kong Short Stories(2011). Besides, CHR has held nearly 20 seminars on different aspects of Hong Kong culture and literature in the 1950s, including literature, cinema, Chinese opera, music, photography, fashion, newspaper history and visual arts.